Tuesday, December 09, 2008

(NHN) Faith in Reason

We noted yesterday a reason to question reason's capacity to be self-justifying, hence a reasonable interpretation of the claim that we place our "faith" in reason (see Siegel on this issue for further study). Fallibilism is the usual result. But in the wrong hands, these same ideas often have an anti-intellectual or irrational flavor:

BUSH: Well, I think you can have both. I think evolution can -- you're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president. But it's, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment